Dumbella, Hortense, and Grandma

Stefan Persson spe at inducks.org
Tue May 15 23:06:52 CEST 2018

On 2018-05-15 20:49, Harry Fluks wrote:
> On a different note, it's interesting to see that the new DuckTales now
> uses Dumbella as name for Donald's sister.
> Back in the 1990s, when Rosa used the character, he named her Della (her
> newspaper strip name), because he found the name Dumbella (her name in
> the cartoon) too silly.
> For non-native English speakers, the silliness ("Dumb bell") may be less
> obvious. In the Dutch translations, she has always been Dumbella.

Dumbella (the character from the film) is Donald's sister while Della
(the character from the Taliaferro strip) is Donald's cousin. Obviously,
your cousin isn't also your sister, so Dumbella and Della must be two
different characters.

In the film, Donald receives a postcard addressed to "Mr. Donald Duck,
Hollywood, Calif":

Dear Brother —
I am sending your angel nephews to visit you —
Sister Dumbella

In the Taliaferro strip, Donald receives a letter in an envelope
addressed to "Donald Duck, Hollywood, Calif.":

Dear Donald:
I am sending your angel nephews, Louie, Huey and Dewey, to stay with you
while their father is in the hospital. A giant firecracker exploded
under his chair. The little darlings are S̲O̲ playful. I hope you enjoy them.
Your cousin,
Della.