Character List

rich.bellacera@amail.amdahl.com rich.bellacera at amail.amdahl.com
Sat Aug 8 17:31:00 CEST 1992

Per Starback says:

> Re Minnie's niece/nieces: Of course she could have had one niece
> visiting sometimes and two other nieces visiting at other times.  You
> also have to choose if you want to count all Disney comics produced
> over the world, or only the American ones.  If you count Gutenberghus
> characters like Tone/Tuttan, you should also look at all the
> reoccurring Mondadori characters in Italy.  Tone/Tuttan appeared
> only in the sixties btw.  By now I guess she lives with her parents.
> (Rich's comment:
>> Despite the fact that they [Little Toot, Hiawatha, Bongo, Scamp, Mad
>> Madam Mim, etc.] repeatedly appear in Disney Comics along with Chip'
>> Dale and others, they are usually one-shot stories that do not have
>> ties to any of the continuing themes. [...]
>
> Well... The Toot stuff *is* one of the "continuing themes".  So is the
> Hiawatha stuff and the Scamp stuff.  I'm just not sure what your
> criteria are for which of those themes/universes to use.  As Darkwing
> Duck shares Launchpad McQuack with DuckTales and DuckTales shares lots
> of characters with the biggest most mainstream Disney universe (the
> Donald-and-Mickey one), I guess it's alright to list the DW cast, but
> whatabout Wuz, Hundred Acre Wood, the Gummi's, Cape Suzette, Bonkers!,
> Raw Toonage and Bugville?  What do those locales have that Scamp's or
> Hiawatha's world doesn't?
>
> We've probably read different stories, but I would count Mad Madam Mim
> as a full-fledged member of the main Disney universe (Earth-1?).  I've
> read countless stories where she meets Donald, The Beagle Boys, Chip
> 'n'Dale, Magica de Spell, etc. etc.

Sorry Per for repeating so much of the previous dialogue, but I think that you
make some very good points I hadn't originally considered.  Like I said
before, this is probably one of the reasons Mr. Dave Smith of the Disney
Archives said they wouldn't do any "Who's Who" sheets on the Disney
Characters. I guess there is indeed a whole lot of controversy over defining
'what's up' in Mainstream Disney.

Let's see if I can tackle these points as carefully as possible.  You
mentioned the Disney Comics produced in Sweden and Italy (Gutenberghus &
Mandadori in particular).  This does indeed create a paradox when trying to
determine a listing of recurring characters as they appear in Disney Comics (&
cartoons) known and loved by readers all over the world.  I must humbly admit
I haven't but the slightest knowledge of exclusive characters outside of the
continental U.S.A.  My knowledge is pretty limited in this realm. :(
Therefore I guess it could (should?) be said that my list is biased toward
what I am familiar with in the U.S.A. (sorry).  Perhaps a suppliment to the
list could be derived by readers familiar with these other characters under
the same specifications?

You are also quite correct in stating that Little Toot, Scamp, and Hiawatha
(and others) carry recurring themes in Disney Comics.  My only contention,(and
perhaps I am wrong) is that these guys are *not* a part of what you have
termed the "Largest Disney Universe" (namely the Mickey & Donald Universe).
You have also inquired why I would include the characters of Bugsville.  Well
actually, I did so because of Bucky's consistent encounters with Bootle Beetle
who is a Donald Duck co-star. Perhaps this isn't good reasoning?  I just
figured that if Bucky lives in Bootle's universe, he must also live in
Donald's universe.  So what about Mad Madame Mim?  This one is a tad trickier.
I, too, have witness numerous visitations upon Duckburg by this witch, and her
often team-ups with the Beagle Boys.  Again my main contention with this one
is that she rightfully belongs to the "Sword In the Stone" universe. But you
are right that she is a recurring character in the pages of comics.  The
others like Pinocchio, Jiminy, and even Hyacinth Hippo are easy enough to
write-off because their encounters are much more happenstance (i.e. the
writers/artists are given the ability to use these cross-over characters... so
they do, no real need, just the fact that they can).  Mad Madame Mim seems to
be one of the exceptions to the rule, however.  I am concurrently working on a
list of all of the characters from all of the animated movies as well and I
already have her listed there, but if it is reasonable to list her in this
list, then perhaps I should.

You also asked why I listed the worlds of Cape Suzzette, Hundred Acre Woods,
Toontown, etc, as well as Mouseton & Duckburg if this list is supposed to be
about the Mickey & Donald Universe (paraphrased of course)?  Actually what I
was doing was attempting to cover two bases at once.  The Mickey & Donald
Universe of Comics & Cartoons and the recurring characters of the cartoons
(i.e. Tail Spin, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Gummi Bears, etc.).
The format of this list automatically excludes most of the characters
appearing in Silly Symphonies (except: Toby Tortoise, Max Hare & Jenny Wren)
and those of the other Disney Short Subjects (like Lambert the Sheepish Lion,
Goliath II, and Amos Mouse) which is why they are *not* listed (i.e. they do
not recur in any continuing themes... but I guess this isn't entirely true
since Hiawatha and Little Toot do {Scamp would of course fall under "Lady &
the Tramp"}, so perhaps I should count them, too, but as separate universes.
Only I am not too awfully familiar with these themes either.  Perhaps someone
could help me.

I really appreciate your help, Per.  Any suggestions?  Anyone else?  I would
really love to fine tune (or is that fine toon) this list so it is of the
utmost help to everyone.

Oh yah...I meant to ask you two other questions:

1) What did you mean that "you hope they haven't been reprinted outside of
Scandenavia?"  :(  I'd love to read some of those titles/stories that are
exclusive to foriegn markets.

2) Are there any characters in particular that you are interested in knowing
who/what they are? (you had said that that was your first question). Perhaps I
can be of some assistance. Others out there might be able to fill in gaps that
my knowledge lacks.

ALso FYI (everyone) according to Mr. Smith of the the Disney Archives John
Grant's book "The Encyclopedia of Disney's Animated Characters" has been
updated and revised and will be released sometime before Christmas.  The book
is complete up to ALADDIN, but I do not know if it will cover the Disney
Afternoon's line-up.  I certainly hope it does.

Here is an article from the August '92 (vol.II, No. 8) issue of PREVIEWS
(trade magazine):
  "Divided into two sections --one for animated short subjects (and we don't
mean Jiminy Cricket) and the other for  feature films --this encyclopedic
cartoon reference volume lovingly catalogs hundreds of delightful Disney
denizens with informative character profiles and outstanding full-color
artwork. From Mickey Mouse to Monstro the Whale to Ariel, Belle and Aladdin
--The Encyclopedia of Walt Disney's Animated Characters is an animation fan's
wish (upon a star) come true! (1-56282-904-1) TV&F 9x12, 368pg, FC......$40."
By John Grant (Published by Hyperion).

Other items of possible interest:

Collectors Cards Sets:

So for I have encountered the following collectors cards sets-
DISNEY'S COLLECTOR CARDS (Series I) by IMPEL (now SKYBOX)
MINNIE 'n ME (Series I) by IMPEL (now SKYBOX)
THE LITTLE MERMAID by PRO SET
BEAUTY & THE BEAST by PRO SET

There is a work in progress set of CARL BARKS' character cards that (as far as
I know) are only available when purchasing GLADSTONE's "CARL BARKS LIBRARY
ALBUMS" which are reprints of his Ducks stories from WDC&S.  I don't know how
many cards there will eventually be, but there is one sealed with each volume
( they are up to Volume 14 I believe).

DISNEY AFTERNOON cards were originally planned by PRO SET but they have since
cancelled.

DISNEY COLLECTOR CARDS (Series II) &
MINNIE 'n ME (Series II) have been produced by SKYBOX (formerly known as
IMPEL) and are due out to commics shops sometime around the end of August
(though probably later).

One final thought.

Wilmer spoke of the AUG 14th survey in the COMICS BUYER'S GUIDE.  I thought it
would be nice to take the poll results one step further and show the full
picture of readership:

SEX:  69% Male
      31% Female
AGE:  73% under 17 y/o (52% between 7 - 12 y/o)
      27% 17 y/o and over

I wonder what kind of a poll result they might get when surveying watchers of
the DISNEY AFTERNOON?  Oh well.

Welp, that's it for now.

-Rich :)