The Carl Barks Autograph Edition

Per Starb{ck starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Wed Nov 18 12:53:28 CET 1992

Johan Urbanyik informed about:
> THE CARL BARKS AUTOGRAPH EDITION
> A new "very limited release" Carl Barks Autograph Edition with
> "AN AUTOGRAPH IN INK SO LARGE YOU CAN SEE IT ACROSS THE ROOM."
> is about to be released. This edition will contain the following:
> [...]
> 3, A pristine mint copy of early Whitman classic Barks comics "Only a
> poor old man" under acid free Mylar.

Torsten:
> If this is an original, then it had better be de-acidified.  You could
> store a newspaper in Mylar, lock it in an argon gas vault, and it would
> still decay.

Whitman was the company that took over the publication of Disney
comics in 1980 (?), so "early Whitman" is still pretty new stuff.
I guess this is US 195 (from 1980), a book worth $1.40 in mint in
Overstreet 1987-88 (the only Overstreet I have).

It's a really good story (reprinted later in Gladstone Album #20), but
no reason to spend $200.  If it's worth $200 to be able to read Carl
Barks's autograph across your room is another thing.  I'm certainly
more happy reading his *comics* closer than a foot from my eyes.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: Per.Starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Can we go fishin', too?"