Freddie Milton

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Nov 23 18:30:30 CET 1992

Jamal Hannah writes:

> Has anyone out there heard of a Danish cartoonist named "Freddie Milton"?
> He did work in the comic called "Critters".. aside from Don Rosa, he
> seems to be one of the most visibly Barks-inspired artists out there.

Yes, I heard of him. He made a lot of Duck stories for the Dutch publisher
Oberon, from 1976 on. In the beginning, his stories were in cooperation
with Dutch artist Daan Jippes. The artwork is very Barks-like (and I like the
stories very much).
Since Jippes went to the USA (and didn't help Milton anymore), the stories
are not that good...

Most early Milton/Jippes stories were reprinted in the USA in Gladstone's WDC.
If you want to know in which issues, ask Per Starback for his list of
H-coded (= Dutch) stories in Gladstone comics.
(Note: Milton is Danish, but the stories are "Dutch". Most of the stories
were probably never printed in Denmark!)

Milton also made some Woody Woodpecker stories (44 pages), and he created
a new comic family: "Familien Gnuff", with 10-page stories appearing in the
Woody Woodpecker comic books in Denmark (and in other European countries).

(BTW: I think Milton's first name is Freddy...)

--Harry