Uncle Scrooge Goes to Disneyland (Again)

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Tue Oct 5 01:45:12 CET 1993

	Dear Folks,

	Chris Lawton asked why on the cover of USA #22 Scrooge was
visiting an amusement park, but that had nothing to do with the
stories inside.  I'll explain:  This cover originally appeared eight
years ago on Gladstone's first published comic book, a giant called
"UNCLE SCROOGE GOES TO DISNEYLAND."  That reprinted in its entirety a
Dell Giant of thirty years before *that*.  The only change was in the
cover;  instead of reprinting the Dell cover, Gladstone had
someone named Mel Crawford *paint* a version of the same drawing.
Beautiful result!

	Now that it's been so long since that painting was first used,
Gladstone obviously concluded that it was high time they used it
again.  Sure, Disneyland isn't related to any story in USA #22...
*but* the painting includes *Mickey* and Gladstone wanted to emphasize
that Mickey was in the issue (in the story, "Uncle Scrooge Meets the
Phantom Blot," originally printed as "Culprits Inc.").

	It's easy to tell why Gladstone didn't mind re-using it.
Compared to the dismal printing quality that made the painting muddy
when it appeared in 1985, USA #22 does it real justice.

	A good issue, no?  I thought Esteban's Danish story was one of
the best I've seen in this country...

	David Gerstein

	"The only way to get ahead of Mickey Mouse is to *run* in
*front* of him!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>

	P. S.  Cris, what happened to your traditional signature?
Aren't you still with me as Mickey's other 'Number One Fan'??