Rosa Fanzine Work

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Thu Apr 7 19:56:55 CEST 1994

>Although I've never seen your work in the fanzines, may I ask you what
>they were about?  If by any chance they were about anthromorphic
>animals, there is a market out there.  God knows how much I love your
>ducks, Usagi and the TMNT.
>
>Maybe you can give it a try with a sample of your work at some indy
>company.  How about...Dark Horse; seems they'll print anything with some
>quality to it and you have to admit that you have a talent.  We'll never
>know until you try it.

The more I think about it, the more I'd have to agree.  If you did
work for Dark Horse, it would expose your talent to people who
wouldn't normally read Gladstones, and it would probably also
supplement your income while you did duck work.  As I've mentioned
before, I do think that you tend to under-estimate the quality of your
own work, but neither you nor I will *really* know until you try to
sell some non disney-duck stories.

There was a time when I couldn't conceive of liking John Byrne's work
unless it were on the Fantastic Four, nor Frank Miller's work unless
it were on Daredevil.  Now that these people (and others) have split
from the big companies to do their own work, I must confess that I
like their current stories much more than those that they told
utilizing someone else's established characters.

Like my experience with other creators, I think that at first it would
first feel a little alien to read non-disney Rosa stories, but I know
that I would soon come to appreciate them for their own merits, and
eventually to relish them even more, as they wouldn't be told under
any corporate limitations.