Don Rosa Rant (Re: Disney-comics digest #261.)

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Tue Mar 8 04:38:59 CET 1994

From: Don Rosa <72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM>:
>	Yes, I saw where U$ #285 supposedly sold out, but that tells me
>nothing of how many issues that was, particularly in the light of the ad
>saying that orders for the issue were not more than normal.

OK, Don, how come you *refuse* to acknowledge that you are very
talented and that there are a lot of people who like and follow your
work?  I know of many people who speak of "Don Rosa", "Will Eisner",
"Dave Sim", "Scott McCloud", and "Neil Gaiman" as the only people who
currently make comics that are worth reading.

David has already told us that the Don Rosa Disney's were the top
sellers.

You state above that Gladstone's ad claims "orders for the issue were
not more than normal."  THIS IS NOT WHAT IT SAYS - You are only
reading *part* of the text!

The ad states that some retailers didn't increase their orders for
Uncle Scrooge *but that others did*!  So the total number of U$ #285s
ordered by retailers was *above average* for that title.  In addition
to the increased orders, the issue *sold out!*  What other Uncle
Scrooge issue has *ever* sold out!?  This means that there were
many people who wanted copies but couldn't find them, and that there
were even more people who would have purchased the issue had they seen
it or known about it.  Here in Boston and Cambridge, *every* comic book
store sold out of U$ 285 *in one day* and people were asking for it
over the next *month*!

>	And I also saw the tag-line "The New King of Ducks". That's just
>Bruce Hamilton using me as a club against Barks, which will only cause
>him to hate me more than ever, if possible.

Perhaps, but it's ALSO TRUE!

>I called them up instantly
>and asked that they not use that phrase. Fans will get sore about that
>phrase, but they'll get sore at ME, not Bruce.

Oh, so?  Don, it's *fans that think this*!!  Do you think that Bruce
pulled the sentiment out of thin air??