Disney-comics digest #770.

Larry Gerstein gerstein at math.ucsb.edu
Thu Aug 31 02:57:42 CEST 1995

        Hi again, all.

        Life is chaotic here, so while I have a lot of things to say, I
can't get all of 'em in just now.  Okay -- what first?

        DONALD DUCK 294 contains a Taliaferro strip with a warning about
the safety of whatever Donald's doing -- looking at an eclipse of the sun,
I think.  I'm glad that the gag was not irretrievably banned.
        I have seen ads for the new WDC&S 601 and future issues -- and the
issue gets back its 1940s logo, and even has the date written as it was on
those old issues.  This is a high-class thing... I sure hope it sells.

        My own work has been exhausting.  Just got the art back from Vicar
for the Hard-Haid Moe story I started the year off with;  I find this to be
some of the best art I've ever seen from Vicar, but... but... he refused to
draw Moe in the Strobl style, and drew a basically different character.  So
I guess I'll have to rename him.  The revival attempt that failed... >sigh<
 Didn't someone on this list write a Neighbor Jones story that ended up
with someone else in it instead of Jones?
        Anyway, the story is about DD as an insurance salesman.  Due to a
situation too complicated to explain, he hits on the idea of Moe being an
easy sucker (he thinks) for a hard-sell, so tries to sell him "woods
insurance" policies... which protect the owner in case of bear bites, etc.
When stubborn Moe points out how he's always gotten along fine with the
forest animals, then throws DD out of his cabin, Donald riles up the local
animals to try to get them to turn on Moe, but... but... (end of spoiler)

        I sent two scripts to Oberon recently:  a Gyro and a Big Bad Wolf.
Does anyone have contacts over there?  I sure wish I knew if they have
them, or if they liked them, or something!
        And I just finished a new script for Egmont, too.  "The Cavern in
the Shifting Sands" brings Mickey and Minnie to the Great Sand Dunes of
Colorado, where they discover a buried treasure -- and discover Pegleg Pete
and Shyster hot on its trail!

        I'm also editing a collection of 1920s Felix the Cat Sunday pages
for another publisher right now.  How I talked my way into that will have
to wait for another time -- but anyone who likes Disney comics should like
this collection.

        Best,

        David Gerstein
        <gerstein at math.ucsb.edu>