Analysis of Donald Duck comics

Martin Lampen M.Lampen at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue Jun 6 11:43:38 CEST 1995

Dwight,

Thanks for the info, very interesting. I was looking at the book out of a
curiousity value as a collector, and just the name and description of
the content made me laugh. My favorite 'analysis' of Disney is in the
old movie 'Sullivan's Travels' (1942) directed by Preston Sturgess in
which a film director goes on the road in depression era America in
order to make socially relevent films. He comes across a chain gang
who make an impression on him; a chain gang who roar with laughter
when taking part in the only pleasure of their brutal lives - watching
Mickey Mouse cartoons. The director forgets his ideas of social
relevence and goes back to entertaining.

I don't think I'd want to analyse Disney comics - they're entertaiment
for me; a way to unwind from analysing other stuff all day.

The book, by the way, is out of print at the moment, at least in the UK.

Quote from Sullivan's Travels, written by Preston Sturgess:

John Sullivan: "There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did
you know that that's all some people have?"

Martin