Gladstone's economy moves begin

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri May 26 16:22:54 CEST 1995

      The title says it all.  DONALD DUCK ADVENTURES #33 is out
today, not as the planned 68-pager but (as we were told by John
Lustig) as a 36-pager.  The price:  $1.95 (well, stlg1.40 for me).  The
number of pages of comics inside:  32.  Gladstone's logic was smart:
they decided to print Carl Barks' "The Golden Helmet" in this issue
anyway, even though it meant there'd be no ads except on the covers,
to give readers a little more than usual in a normal-size comic and
thus ease us into the price change.

      Unfortunately, there are other things about this issue that
give me the feeling it's not going to sell all that well.  First,
the decision to leave "The Golden Helmet" in the issue DID wipe out
the letter column, but that's probably a minor quibble.  On the other
hand, although I usually like Van Horn's covers, he drew what I
consider his worst one ever (a very undetailed scene of wild-eyed,
helmeted DD waving the deed to North America -- which isn't labelled
as such -- in the air).  Gladstone REALLY should have used Barks'
original cover here, which was great.

      Don mentioned that the paper quality was going to get a bit
poorer now.  It has (it's now the quality of the paper in Hamilton's
Power Rangers comic), but really, it's not a big problem.  The paper
is a bit rougher in its feel, but it's not newsprint, and the pages,
when printed correctly, look just fine.  The slightly poorer paper
quality is only noticeable when you compare the comic to, say, one of
last month's Gladstones.

      The copy of this issue that I bought was special-ordered for me
by the shop because laws prevent the comic being sold normally on the
racks in Britain.  The quality of the printing was TERRIBLE, with
misaligned colors, overly light black inks here and there, and slight
ink "blurs" muddying Sue Daigle's very nice coloring job on about
half of the pages (pgs. 6, 9, 13-15, 17-20, 22-24, 26, and 27). Since
I've only seen one copy of this issue... are they all this bad?
Gladstone had this problem months ago, but I thought they had fixed
it for good.  I sure hope every DDA 33 doesn't look like this.
      And I REALLY hope WDC&S 598 doesn't look like this next week!
I've been awaiting Ub Iwerks' "Plane Crazy" storyboards for months!

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>