DCML digest, Vol 1 #343 - 7 msgs

bhc@primenet.com bhc at primenet.com
Tue Dec 5 23:23:51 CET 2000

Fernando:

>November 3, 2000
>
>Dear Mr. Malone:
>
>Thank you very much for your recent letter regarding the "cuts
>and edits" in some of our  recent re-issued films on the DVD
>format.
>
>It has served to pointedly call our attention to the issues you
>(and those whose letters and Emails you include) are concerned
>with, and I can assure you that we take them very seriously.
>
>We are now in the process of taking a closer look at our own
>policies in this regard (although that probably won't happen
>until after the end of the year), and I will make it a point to
>keep you informed if we should decide that those policies might
>be changed in some way. Clearly I can't be more specific than
>that.
>
>Again, thanks for your concern.
>
>Sincerly,
>
>Roy E. Disney"

This is extremely interesting. It was Roy E. Disney who fielded a
complaint about a chapter in Gladstone's edition of "The Life and
Times of Scrooge McDuck" that supposedly depicted Scrooge as
"Satanic" (the silhouette of an enraged Scrooge while held captive by
Soapy Slick inside a riverboat). This complaint reportedly first
appeared on the desk of Michael Eisner, who delegated the matter to
Mr. Disney. For a while we were genuinely concerned that this would
halt Gladstone's publication of the series in midstream, but Mr.
Disney ultimately addressed the matter in a way that enabled us to
continue uninterrupted and with no worries.

It may not be reason for unbridled hope, but it's enough, I think, to
give Mr. Disney the benefit of the doubt in the present matter.
--
Gary