Pigeons and weasels

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu Mar 9 17:38:46 CET 2000

VIDAR SVENDSEN, 8 MARCH 2000:

> Do you remeber any stories where our friends use carrier pigeons?
> I remember two: the one where Scrooge sends one million and gets
> two million back, A Spicy Tale (US 39), Racing Pigeon "Rocketwing"
> (WDC 139) and How green was my Lettuce (US 51).

The first one is an Uncle Scrooge fourpager about Petruccio the
pigeon (US 7).

The last page of "Sherrif of Bullet Valley" (OS 199) shows a peace dove.
"The Thrifty Spendthrift" (US 47) contains two turle doves.
Does that count, too?

KRITON KYRIMIS, 9 MARCH 2000:

> [WDC 75] http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis/pics/goodjoe.jpg shows Southside
> Good Joe, who one list member thought was a self-caricature of Barks.

No, I didn't think it was a self-caricature. I only asked if it could be
possible.

> To my eyes, the type of long snout that Joe has suggests that he is
> portrayed as a weasel (i.e., a not very honest person) and not as a
> Barks caricature.

A weasel? Even though I understand your suggestion, I still think he looks
more like a dog-face. I'm curious what others think. Does someone know
a story in which Carl Barks clearly used a weasel-face? This might be
of help for comparison.

However, a self-caricature doesn't nescessarily need to be honest. In
"Sherrif of Bullett Valley", Carl Barks used a self-caricutare on a
"wanted" sign. Of course, being on a "wanted" sign doesn't nescessarily
mean that the portrayed person really *is* guilty, but it shows at least
that being honest/dishonest doesn't draw a line in what can be a
self-caricature or not. An advantage of a self-caricature is that one
can make fun of him/herself in a way that other people wouldn't even
dare to think about.

Greetings,

--- Daniel

"Gee, kids! There's going to be a SPECIAL SHOW tonight!"
"Anything GOOD, unca Donald?"