Bhutt Rhetler from Voss, Hordaland

Olaf Solstrand harryklein at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 18:22:05 CEST 2001

Hi! One question suddenly occured in my mind;
The "square eggs"-story (Lost in Andes) became famous in Norway because of
it's translation. Bhutt Rhetler was turned into Tron Dreyerdahl from Voss.
Tron Dreyerdahl is a word-play on Thor Heyerdahl, the most famous Norwegian
explorer ever. He came from Voss, which is an actual place in Norway. The
square people was talking a mix of vossamål (the dialect of Voss) and
nynorsk (one of the two official languages in Norway, only that because of
it's origin it is marked to be a "farmer"-language, the language of the
countryside... the biggest newspapers in Norway actually forbids their
journalists to use nynorsk, and the weekly, Donald Duck & Co, is not printed
on nynorsk, but on the other language, bokmål). And he had learned the
square people to sing "På Vossevangen der vil eg bu" (I guess you can say
that it's the unofficial national anthem of Voss, but it's not even close to
as popular in Norway as "Dixie" is in USA).

The question comes to mind; what did translators in other lands do? I'm just
curious!

-olaf- harryklein at hotmail.com
- http://home.no.net/treaa/ -