Taliaferro's Daisy

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Tue Jul 3 18:23:04 CEST 2001

Regarding Bottaro's assistant or Perego's copying or tracing Taliaferro's
Daisy.  Upon viewing the Finnish printing, it seems evident to me that the
Italian artist either copied (faithfully) or traced 2 of the 3 Daisy
figures.  The side/rear view of head and upper body in her second panel was
his own.  The first picture has the upper 2/3 of Daisy as copied or traced,
and the bottom of her torso, legs and feet added as new art.  The ruffles
(ruffled feathers) where her legs attach to the body are too numerous and
too regular to be Taliaferro's.  The inking stroke style is different.  Her
legs and feet move too drastically to be correct for her rather still upper
body.  In the third drawing, Daisy swings (or HAS SWUNG) an umbrella
striking Donald.  Yet, the pose copied from Taliaferro is not correct for
such action.  It does not look AT ALL as if Daisy has really swung the
umbrella at Donald.  Her upper body is very still.  The placement of action
speed lines as trails for where the umbrella was supposed to have gone,
does NOT "fool" the reader into believing such action has taken place.

It appears that the artist did not feel confident to draw Daisy in an
acceptable style, and did not have an ample stock of Taliaferro poses to
find an adequate pose to fit his action needs.  He could have used pictures
of Daisy as a model (to learn how she is built and how her body looks when
in motion).  But then, he should have moved the body parts to match the
required motion.  It must, indeed have been under circumstances that
required a very quick fix.  I cannot believe an editor would have allowed
such art under normal deadline circumstances.  I suspect that it might have
been an editing change, perfomed quickly just before printing deadline.
Any other ideas?

Rob Klein