DCML digest, Vol 1 #596 - 4 msgs (To Olaf)

Antonio Maschio tbin at libero.it
Wed Jul 4 19:58:13 CEST 2001

Well, Olaf,

in Italian the jargon was particular: no Italian speaks that way. It's a
mixture of old Italian and some nonexistent words; some example (taken from
the "Io Paperino" book):

"Per Giova! Per Putifarre! Voi siete i più madornalmente buffi creaturi
che io abbia mai mirato coi miei pupilli!" /Table 7, strip 14

Should be in true Italian:

"Per Giove! Per Putifarre (though no one would say this)! Voi siete le più
strane buffe creature che abbia mai visto coi miei occhi"

(means By Jove! By Putifarre!!! You're the most strange creature I've ever
seen!)

Got the point?

Another example (2 strips forward)

"Fischiate i fischietta! Trombate i trombi! Chiamate il presidento!
Radunate il parlamenta!..."

Should be:

"Suonate i fischietti! Suonate le trombe! Chiamate il presidente! Radunate
il parlamento!..."

(means Play your whistles, play your trumpets! Call the president! Gather
the congress!...)

The language is a corruption of the original, with strange and very
enjoyable effects: they speak normally only when they sing in the southern
dialect, the one recognized by Donald Duck and nephews.

If it's not enough, write me: I can give you the whole translation of the
story (if you're interested in Italian, of course!)

Ciao

--
Antonio Maschio
<tbin at libero.it>