Barks paintings

Kathy Fitzpatrick kfitz at halcyon.com
Sun Jul 8 20:57:28 CEST 2001

  To Steve Rowe: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

  And the best way to look at art.  It is possible to love a story but not be as enthralled by the same person's artwork.  I would love to be able to justify purchasing lithographs of Carl Bark's paintings rather than something else I need more. I love his use of light to add dimension.  It gives the paintings a warm feeling.  However, Don has his own art style and he has his own unique tastes of what he likes.

  Since love of Duck stories unites us all and is the main reason most of us are on this website we should be able to discuss the reasons we like the ducks or certain stories without considering every aspect of Duckburg or someone's art or someone's story as sacred. Everyone on this list has something to offer and valid opinions.  We are also love words and use of words, clever turns of phrases such as those used by Carl Barks.

  Because of our love of words and the many languages that are our own it is good to be extra careful when reading someone's opinion not to attribute more to someone's statement than was indicated.  For example if I stated I like all of the art by Carl Barks more than any other artist is does not mean I do not like art by other artist.  I love art by other artists, too many to even list.  If Don Rosa starts doing paintings I would want to purchase them just as much as I would want to purchase Carl Barks paintings.

  We all have a tendency to be loyal to one or more artists and often discuss the reasons why.  Those reasons are why this list exists. Sometimes when something someone has written on this list has bothered me I wait and see what the following discussion is.  Often I find I read something into a statement that was not intended it.  One of the many reasons I do not post often is that if I wait a while someone who knows more or has more information will respond, but another reason is to see what develops from discussion.

  However I often subscribe to the theory that a closed mouth gathers no feet.  I don't know if I recommend that for most people, but it does work well when discussions get heated.

  Best to all,

  Kathy