Dutch Panchito strips

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Mon Jul 9 15:36:04 CEST 2001

Rob Klein:

> Perhaps some
> of the editors at Oberon had seen some of the Brasilian
> stories in the late
> 1970s that inspired the renaissance of Jose C. (new Dutch
> production) in
> the Dutch Weekly, and the printing of the Panchito strips.
> Harry, can you help us on this question?

I am convinced that the Dutch never looked at a Brazilian story when they
decided to reprint the old USA newspaper strips.
And the Dutch production is clearly based on those newspaper strips. This
goes for Carioca as well as for Panchito.

> information regarding the Dutch Jose Carioca
> production:  In the 1980s, Wilma van den Bosch did most of the story
> writing, along with much from Ruud Straatman.

Then how come that Ruud Straatman was the only one credited, for ALL the
longer Carioca stories? Wilma only did two very short stories (and maybe 2
gags that were attributed to "redactie DD").
Wilma didn't do any Carioca stories in the 1990s.

> Mau and Bas Heymans have also drawn several during the [1990s]

Bas drew one. Mau only drew a "special" DD story where lots of characters
appeared, including Carioca.

> several Brasilian cover drawings were reprinted.

As far as I know, covers were *always* made in Holland. If they used a
Brazilian gag, they must have redrawn the artwork. But I have no indications
for that.

(There were 2 occasions in 1994 where a Brazilian cover was used: in both
cases, the cover was printed as a Brazilian cover, and was part of an
article about Brazil or Carioca.)

> Several short Brasilian stories were also reprinted.

I don't know of *any* Brazilian Carioca story reprinted in Holland!

> Harry-anything you can add? - (of ben je met vacantie?)

Can you come with more detailed information? Like sources?

--Harry.
(not reading e-mail during weekends)