( Sorta OT ) U.S. Comics Sales II !!!!!

WL Lilly liljerryandtheyadayadakiddz at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 20:27:45 CEST 2001

...( A tiny addition/clarification before I go on .
First , I should've written " Yahoo! " , as in the
Yahoo comic club Duck Comics Of Barks and Rosa , which
sort of led to me coming here in the first place .
Second , the Archie title I was referencing , funny
enough , did not actually HAVE a cover date on the
cover itself , just in the incida ( The small print on
the inside of the comic - often , but not always , the
first page - with legal/Post Office information - I
might have spelled " incida " wrong , I just tried the
spell check , but , as I expected , the spell-check
seemed thrown by it . ) - This was a comic-shop copy ,
not a newsstand copy - Perhaps , the newsstand
editions  have a date on the cover ? )

...Anyway , I was under the impression that some
Euro-Disney comics publishers - mostly , French and
Italian ? - did some limited amount of English
publishing , mostly in special/commemmerative editions
of classic stories ( and , some of Don's " Barksverse
"  stories ? )...but , that there was also an
English-language quarterly - something secondary , in
other words - from the French publisher , or similar
to that . Also , I'd been told that an
English-language Disney comic was being published in
India ( Perhaps for distribution across the
Commonwealth - in Asia/Africa/West Indies , I mean -
as well ? ) , but that the publisher there wasn't
prepared
( Or , allowed  ? By their agreement with Disney ,
 I mean . ) to deal with subscriptions to the West .
  Yesterday , at the comics shop I go to , here in San
Francisco , ( Jeffery's Toys , at - Third ? - and
Market , in the Hearst Building . ) I was telling the
owner about this list . He's said he'd really like
Disney comics in the U.S. to be publishing again . I
told him of the , apparent , 100% English-speaking
West shutdown...He was under the impression that
Disney had been banned , or , at least , had it made
difficult for Disney comics to be sold , in much of
Europe .
  Oh , by the way , as far as " WDC&S "'s peak sales
go  , I recently saw a statistic that " MAD " magazine
was  selling well over 2 million per issue , at their
circulation height , in the early 1970s , ( They're
far  less than that now . ) though I can't access the
file where the article in which I saw the statistic is
, just now . Of course , as the very term " magazine "
indicated , post-50s " MAD " was printed , and
marketed , a bit differently from " regular " comic
books - It may well be
less than pre-TV " WD " s peak , anyway !

( NOTE: My statistics/etc. here are done without
reference works handy , so , if any mistakes appear...
You know what to blame !!!!! )