(no subject)

Olaf Solstrand harryklein at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 10:14:30 CEST 2001

Shelley Hanson/KlezmerAllThatJazz:
>After our discussion of family names, and the belief of many of us
>that just because they have the same name, all of the Ducks are not
>necessarily related -- it seems apparent that Unca Carl can't possibly be
>related to Gyro Gearloose. With a name like Barks, his being a relative of
>some of the
>dog characters is much more likely.

Hello! I said a DISTANT relative! Maybe a second or third cousin?

Fluks, H. W.;
>The US origin is irrelevant, at least to the people who are currently
>producing Disney comic stories. The various editors are "forced" to make
>stories in such a way that they can be published in many countries. So
>these
>editors "force" their writers into that. Regardless of which country these
>writers come from.

OK, but what if no stories are written on the subject, can't one still have
a fact in one's mind? One example; we all know that Hortense and Quackmore
have had sex at least once (since they're somebody's parents), but we will
NEVER see them having sex in the weekly. In the same way, I can input the
fact in my head that Daisy is Della's sister-in-law and believe in that
personally, and KNOW that Donald's sister married Daisy's brother, even
though this probably never will be revealed in a DD story. Duckburg is in
Calisota, USA - not in Greece.

Don Rosa:
>But anyway, the assumptions that Olaf was making that were causing him to
>*not* want Quagmire to be the brother of $crooge's grandfather were
>incorrect, so that was my main point.

I know. And I knew that this was a barksian fact. But I was thinking of
IGNORING that fact. I have ignored a few facts before - in "Horsing Around
With History" (D94003 Barks / van Horn), where all their equipment was as
picked out of the 90's. As you may know by now, I want all stories to find
place in the 1950's, so that we don't have to deal with eternal characters
(which I would call a mess). I also ignored "From Duckburg to Lillehammer"
(D93287 Rosa) on the same reason. I wanted to ignore the fact that Barks
(and Rosa through the family tree) made Quagmire Scrooge's grand uncle
because I H*A*T*E*D the thing about Quagmire being wealthy and Dingus being
a poor miner - since their brotherhood probably never was planned, as they
were mentioned in two different Barks stories (and correct me if I'm wrong,
but wasn't Dingus only mentioned in one sentence in "Hound of the
Whiskervilles"?). Therefor, I wanted to erase Quagmire from the family tree.
But now that you wonderful people on the mailing list have told me that he
wasn't rich, I don't feel that urge to remove him any more.

> > thought about including Ludwig (as a date of Matilda, not
>neccessarrily...
> > <-- I hate that word... her husband), but after some thinking, I
>discover
> > that I have the same relation to Ludwig as I have to Fethry. I don't
>really
> > like him, and he was never used by Barks.
>
>Ah, but yes, he certainly was! He was used in one single 1-page gag cartoon
>in U$ comics in 1961. Now, you are still free to eliminate him from your
>Family Tree, of course, but be sure you know that Barks *did* use him once.

Really? I thought Barks never used Ludwig. But that makes the whole
character a little bit more serious. I now have a new definition on Ludwig -
I think of him as the BOYFRIEND of Matilda McDuck in some years while she
lived in Duckburg. Of course, that is not enough to put him into the family
tree (when it's not as complicated as Gilles Maurice's family tree), but I
will try to add a Ludwig biography on my site a.s.a.p.

M.J. Prior:
>(Jake must have become incredibly old, for both
>Donald and Scrooge don't consider him as being dead in 1952.)

Donald never knew Jake except from the family album, and Scrooge probably
saw right through the disguise. Would Scrooge kick out his own uncle because
of some debt? I really don't think so! I believe that Scrooge made up that
debt right there so that he could punish Donald for dressing up like Jake.
You shall honour the dead(s?).

>Some more hair-splittery to come: If Donald and Della are born
>somewhere in the 1920's, their mother Hortense must have been at
>least forty-three years old when she gave birth to them. It sure DID
>take some time before she and Quackmore, with whom she fell in
>love at her twenty-fifth (?), decided to have children.

In the unrevealed schetches of Lo$ part 11, we see that Hortense and
Quackmore waited for Scrooge to come home to Duckburg for their wedding. But
he didn't, so they at least got married. Another question is why Daphne
Duck, mother of Gladstone, waited so long to have children. Maybe she was
much younger than her brother?

Olaf Solstrand
harryklein at hotmail.com / olaf at andebyonline.com

www.andebyonline.com