your suite101 essay

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Fri Sep 21 12:44:39 CEST 2001

JOHN:

> Hello Robert,
>
> you are equating comic book fictional violence with real world actual
> violence: most people, yes, even most kids, know the difference

Do they? I wonder.

I recently saw the results of a US poll showing that the majority of US
citizens were in favor of going to war: more than 90% were in favor of
"going to war", and more than 60% were in favor of "going to war if it
resulted in the death of 1000 US soldiers".  It would seem that about
a quarter of those asked did not understand that war actually involves
people getting killed on both sides!

> Try
> this instead, have parents actually spend *time* with their kids, and
> teach them the difference between right and wrong, fiction and reality.

Heresy! Parents should not spend any time with their children!  If they
did, why would they need to buy them lots and lots of expensive toys,
to make up for their lack of attention? This would ruin the toy industry,
depriving hundreds of people of their jobs!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Well, Ivan, you're the one in the navigator's seat.  What are you doing?"
"Sir, I am instructed to keep this seat warm until Chekov returns."
-----