DCML digest #814

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Jan 26 09:08:35 CET 2002

From: UNDBKB at aol.com  (Barry Branvold)
that book
published.
Byron Erickson, are you still "lurking" out there?
Could Egmont produce such a book in English?

Nope. It's the same deal. For Egmont to publish as much as a Disney match
book cover *in English*, it would require them to negotiate (and pay!) for
an entirely new license, that for publishing English language editions.
Di$ney has every angle covered -- they don't simply license publishers per
country, but *per language*. And Egmont is the world's largest publisher --
again, as I said of Disney, for Egmont to negotiate and purchase a license
for publishing Disney comics in English, simply to publish and sell a Don
Rosa book to a thousand (or two thousand, or ten thousand) collectors
through American comic shops would be an utterly laughable idea to them.
They are used to selling millions of copies of weekly comics with virtually
no effort.
We need to steel ourselves to the very real likelihood that the world will
never again see Disney comics in the English language.