Barks' Little Joke

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Thu Jun 27 08:23:36 CEST 2002

ROB:

> I cannot believe that not ONE member wants to comment on Barks' joke that
> calisota was known as "The VAMPIRE State".
> In real
> life, the "Empire State" (New York) had a skyscraper (Empire State
> Building) named after it. Therefore: The "Vampire State Building" must
> represent "The VAMPIRE State (i.e. Calisota).

Understanding the joke requires that you know that New York state is
called the "empire state", so that you can make all these associations. My
guess is that this kind of obscure information is only known to Americans,
possibly only New Yorkers. Being neither, I always wandered why the
building had such a strange name.

> Also: No One thinks that that old ramshackle shack on Dreary Street (Angina
> Arthritis' House) is a memorable and important landmark in Duckburg????

Not really. That building was demolished in an explosion of McDuck
flour. The gingerbread house that was left standing in its place would
not have lasted long, and, if we believe Barks, it was *eaten* right away,
giving Scrooge an indigestion.

Like many people, however, I am curious to know what document
Ms. Arthritis had that could ruin Scrooge.

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"I'm the nearest thing you can get to infullable."
"Infallible!"
"Exactly."
-----