Don: Duckburg's 12 landmarks

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Thu Jun 27 14:32:15 CEST 2002

HARRY:

> IMO they will think "of course, Duckburg has a monumental church".

And they are going to chuckle, admiring the ingenuity of whoever came
up with the name "Notre Duck"!

> To you the story probably is "somewhat unmemorable" because it was
> published after your youth. To *me* the story is one of the best Scrooge
> stories that Barks did.

Hear, hear!

> In Holland (Rotterdam), the Van Nelle factory is a monument (and a
> landmark) because of its innovative architecture (from the 1930s).

And in Athens, the Fix beer factory in the center of Athens is being
turned into a cultural center / metro station / bus terminal. It is
already a landmark, giving its name to the area (a big factory within
walking distance of the Acropolis is not an everyday sight), and when
the modifications are completed, it may well become something one would
put on a postcard. (OT trivia: Fix was a Bavarian named Fuchs, whose
name Greeks could not pronounce, so he changed it!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"If you are forced to fight, you have already lost the first battle."
-----