A question about vegetables and translations

Gerd Syllwasschy gerd.syllwasschy at web.de
Sat Jun 29 14:41:39 CEST 2002

Steven Rowe wrote on 2002-06-27:

> Here in the USA, if you go to a store, and buy "pickles" you will get
pickled
> cucumbers.

Hopefully, yes. :-)

I looked it up in the original text of the "Forbidden Valley" story now.
They are talking about cucumbers all right, but the bug is an "augur-nosed
pickle hater", a menace to the "pickle crop". This puzzles me a bit. I mean,
you don't harvest pickles, do you? You first harvest cucumbers and then
pickle them, I would imagine. Even in the rural parts.

Gerd