OT - Wicca (was Re: About G. Blum and reference points (plus, a little credit toGemstone)

Rob Wilson dolphinrob at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 8 00:10:49 CEST 2003

Greetings, Francesco,

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 05:23  PM, Francesco Spreafico wrote:

> I don't think it has something to do with being American... I'm not
> American, but I know what Wicca is because I'm a "Buffy the Vampire
> Slayer"
> fan, and there's a wiccan there (even though they rarely use this word). I
> guess many people knows what Wicca is because they watch "Charmed" (Me, I'
> ve
> never seen it). So it's just a matter of pop culture I think.

I haven't yet read the Blum story myself, but I did wish to respond to
some of your statements above. I've been a Wiccan for around 12 years, and
the religion my associates and I practice has very little to do with
anything seen on "Buffy" or "Charmed". Honestly, believing that one can
know what Wicca is about because one has seen those TV shows is like
thinking one can understand what Christianity is about by watching "Jesus
Christ Superstar". Hollywood has rarely, if ever, presented an accurate
view of *any* religion (IMHO).

Guess I'd better make my monthly trek to the comic shop a little early, so
I can see what all the hubbub is myself. Thanks for the heads-up!

Best Wishes,

	Rob