About G. Blum and reference points

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Fri Aug 8 07:57:08 CEST 2003

SIGVALD:

> Barks-style stories should IMO
> take place in the mid-1950's +/- a decade.

Daniel answered this for me quite eloquently. The only thing that I want to
add is that I think that the above statement helps one understand your point
of view. The non-Barks stories that you want to read are Barks pastiches,
i.e., stories that are written in Barks' style, and at their best would be
stories that Barks might have written himself during his prime. People who
disagree with you want to read non-Barks stories that Barks himself might have
written had he kept writing to this day, never getting tired of working with
the times, and always staying in his prime. As Daniel pointed put, Barks kept
adapting to the times, so, had he been active in our times, he would probably
have produced stories similar to the ones the best of today's writers are
producing today.

Both points of view are valid, irreconcilable though they may be. And although
  I do not share your view in this particular instance, I can certainly
understand it: being somewhat of a Sherlock Holmes fan (where, as with duck
comics, their is life after Conan Doyle), I cannot imagine reading a Holmes
story taking place in any time other than Victorian times. I don't know if
there is such a beast, but I gather that there is at least one movie where
Sherlock Holmes helps fight the nazis!

Now the only problem with this analysis is that Don's stories are clearly a
lot more than mere Barks pastiches!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"That particular problem is impossible to solve... how *did* you solve it?"
-----