Scarpa, Pete's leg

Frank Bubacz frankbubacz at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 17 16:29:08 CEST 2003

Michiel quoted:

>Pete had his peg leg until 1936 in the cartoons. In the comics it lasted
>until 1941, when the story Mystery at Hidden River explained how he had
>gotten an artifical leg that looked real.

Interestingly, the first bunch of Italian Disney artists, Bioletto, Carpi,
Chierchini, P.L. de Vita et al, drew Pete with a wooden leg until as late as
ca. 1960. The only exception was Scarpa, probably due to the strong
Gottfredson influence. There's a nice scene in his story "Topolino e la
dimensione Delta" (1959), when Pete takes off one of his shoes and
underneath you can see his pegleg!

I personally adore Scarpa and think it's high time his classic MM stories of
the 50s and early 60s see publication in the US. Only three have ever been
published there: "The Blot's Double Mystery", "The Mystery Of Tapiocus VI"
and "Kali's Nail". There are still about ten of his MM stories from that era
that are absolutely indispensable. I guess the problem is they are drawn to
fit a pocket book format, and of course it's sacrilege to change a 3-tier
into a 4-tier.

Frank