Magica the sorceress/witch

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 29 12:40:21 CEST 2003

Daniël:

>>> In Barks's "Ten-cent Valentine" (WDC 258), Scrooge calls Magica both a
>>> sorceress *and* a witch. The witch-reference can be found in panel 9.8:
>>> "Drop your WEAPONS, you witch!"

>> So, looking at this story, it's discussable if Magica De Spell is a
>> sorceress or a witch.

Well, "witch" here is used in a pejorative way more than by reference to
what she actually is. You can call a woman a "hag", a "crone", or a "witch",
regardless of  her actually being one; "sorceress" is just too long for such
a use.
So I don't think it's conclusive here.

Now, I must very humbly say I'm a bit confused as to the nuances between
witch, sorcerer(ess), magician, wizard, ...
I infer that one possesses innate magical powers (the wizard, I guess),
whereas the other uses spells and magic objects.

>From the dictionary (Cambridge)--
witch: a woman who is believed to have magical powers and who uses them to
harm or help other people.
wizard: a man who is believed to have magical powers and who uses them to
harm or help other people.
sorcery: a type of  magic in which spirits, esp evil ones, are used to make
things happen
magician: a magician is a person who has magic powers in stories, or who
performs tricks as entertainment

Cord's http://www.dcml-talk.org/list.php?f=1  may be a more appropriate
place to develop the difference and discussion, a relatively short answer
being enough to clarify the nuance here. (jsut a humble suggestion)

Isn't that from the Valentine Magica story? Or maybe simply here first
appearance?
In any case, that's Donald's line after being foof bombed. I believe the
panel shows him staggering, seeing stars.

Olivier