DCML digest #1247

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Feb 8 14:47:29 CET 2003

From: "Dan Rosenberg" <dortmunder at mad.scientist.com>
Subject: Re: D.U.C.K.
Sled To Dawson" in a
while and was looking for the D.U.C.K. in the LEAST obvious place only to
find it in the MOST
obvious,

That depends on which published version of the story you're looking at. In
many, the dedication was removed -- that's why I started HIDING it in the
first panel rather than just writing it.

Treasure Of The Ten
Avatars." Now, I think I found it in the first panel, but only the first
three letters (in the water
ripples, yes no?). Somehow the "K" went missing.

No, it's right there in line. You must be looking at it if you found the
rest. The 'K' is right in line after the 'C'... it's written sideways (as
are all the letters) and the top of the 'K' touches the panel border. And
there's still a bubble in the water to form the '.' as there always is after
each letter.

>>>Then in "Nobody's Business" I couldn't find it

Again, it depends on what edition you're looking at. This was the second
story I'd ever done, and at the time, "Son of the Sun" had not yet been
published and I did not know that Disney would order the dedication removed
from where I had it written in the *last* (not first) panel of the story
looking suspiciously like a forbidden *signature*! Still, it appeared in
place in the Norwegian edition of that story a few years later. I had also
written it into the *final* panel of "Nobody's Business" but it was written
on a comic book cover like a title and I guess that fooled the brilliant
Disney inspectors, so they didn't say anything. But it was still removed in
certain foreign editions. The dedication was also written into the final
panel of "Mythological Menagerie", but was not hidden and was therefore
ordered removed. I then started writing it in the *first* panel rather than
the last, and I was trying to write it less obviously, as in "Last Sled",
but that didn't help. So I finally decided to hide the dedication from the
eyes of the "censors", and that has *usually* but not always worked. I must
hide it *well* because Egmont has people who sit and study the art sent in
by artists and white-out any lettering, even single individual letters, that
they spot anywhere in the art.