Birth of Ducks

bi442@lafn.org bi442 at lafn.org
Mon Feb 17 00:31:44 CET 2003

> Then how do you explain the fact that Gus Goose is Grandma Duck's nephew? Or
> the fact that Diamond Dick, the jewel thief who impersonated Scottie
> McTerrier, a dogface, in "The Old Castle's Secret", is related to the
> McDucks?

Just because Gus Goose has the last name "Goose", and Grandma Duck has "Duck"
does not prove to me that they are from different species. I have the family
name "Klein", but I am not small as men go. Surnames in this parallel world do
not necessarily mean that those beings are members of, or their families
originated from that particular species.

Scottie McTerrier (who looked significantly like a Terrier dog), had married a
female being whose mother's grandfather had been a McDuck. It is clear from his
looks, that he, himself, could not have produced progeny with Daisy, for
example.  I do, however, need to give in on the point of marriage.  In this
parallel world, members of the different intelligent species, apparently can
marry.  I assume that they can adopt children of any species.  Perhaps the
mothers can accept sperm for donors of their own species to have children of at
least ONE of the married couple.  I admit that if we assume that the science in
this parallel "Disney or 'Ducks' World" is much advanced of our own, we could
believe that they have found a way to splice genes of the different species
marriage partner into a fetus that was conceived originally by a female and
male of the same species to create an infertal "half breed". If this process
were to continue over thousands of generations moving towards one parent's
species or the other, the "cross breed" would eventually have enough similar
traits to be able to breed with that one original species (or, possibly another
cross bred individual, but only one who had traits very close to that same
original species).

This parallel world then is similar to that of many science fiction tales which
describe a universe with many intelligent species, who live together in a
society (often as equals).  But... if they look so very different, a scientist
couldn't really believe that they can interbreed.  As mankind has ventured into
space, we have found that the same physical laws that apply to Earth apply to
the entire Universe.  "Magic" is in the eye of the beholder.  We have no
evidence to lead us to imagine that someday we will "discover" a way to
interbreed, other than the way I described above.

Now the discussion is getting very interesting to me.  Again, I must state that
I am not trying to be a killjoy, or tell other Disney fans what they should
believe.  I must repeat what I stated in my last message:  There is room for
all fans of all levels of immagination, and/or suspension of current scientific
knowledge.  I must admit, that what the World's scientists considered "truth" a
few thousand years ago, is considered superstition and drivel now.  that leads
us to the safe bet that what we think is "truth" now, will be "proven"
incorrect, in the future.  We could assume that the parallel world is in the
distant future or a parallel world that has advanced much beyond our
civilisation.  But if THAT is the situation, it is too hard for me to accept
that so very many of the trappings of the latter half of the Twentieth and the
very early Twenty-first Centuries here on our Earth, still remain in vogue, at
the same time as those few, distant future scientific advances.  It seems to
me, that if science advanced so greatly in the area of genetics, the results of
research in many other areas would show up in daily life.  Perhaps the society
in the "Disney Universe" is VERY, VERY nostalgic for that 50 to 75 year period
in their early history; even to the point of affecting almost every aspect of
their lives.

These are the issues I think about regarding the way I perceive the World
of "The Ducks", "The Mice", etc. I understand how such thinking might take all
the fun out of being a fan.  It removes the "magical feeling".  I guess I am
very atypical of Disney fans.

Rob
Klein