Stuffing, dressing, and custard guns

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Jul 8 18:40:49 CEST 2003

CHUCK MUNSON, 07-07-2003:

> Stuffing, which is also known as dressing, is indeed a side dish
> for turkey, be it for Thanksgiving or any other time.

Does Donald's final comment "Have some more dressing, boys!", in the
custard gun story (WDC 183), have anything to do with the custard in
the story? Or is there another joke in that comment, if any at all?

The custard acts like a dressing in the story, "dressing" the animals
and Donald. So, that's why I'm thinking of a connection between the
custard and the dressing.

> Stuffing is normally bread-based and mixed with varying spices,
> but it has an infinite number of varieties and most families who
> serve it will have their favorites.  The consistancy can range
> from a mix of identifiable ingredients to an almost pudding-like
> blend.

Could that be a custard-like blend, as well? In the Dutch translation,
Donald has a pudding gun, instead of a custard gun. If I'm wrong in
comparing pudding with custard, maybe that will explain my confusion.

> My mom's included bite-sized bread cubes moistened with chicken
> broth and melted butter, with minced carrot, celery, and onion, and
> seasoned with sage, parsley, salt and pepper.  Some other recipes
> I've heard of include oysters or dried cranberries.  Outside of the
> dried cranberries, I am not aware of dressing being overly sweet.

The Thanksgiving diner I had, contained pumpkin-sauce and even
marshmellows. I may be confused with the appetizers and the desert,
though.

I didn't have much time to think about that diner, because that
evening I heard of the (at least for me) sudden death of a well-known
Dutch poet and (song)writer, whom I've been in contact with. That was
a rather cynical timing for me, apart from the much too early death
itself. In that light, the Thanksgiving diner wasn't so sweet at all.

(Apologies for this depressing, off-topic end-note. It's just an
illustration of how life can be, or at least how *my* life can be.)

--- Daniël