Dutch editors and Don Rosa

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Jul 19 11:53:29 CEST 2003

ANDERS CHRISTIAN SIVEBAEK to BERNARD, 18-07-2003:

> (only joking - I'd enjoy actually meeting the dutch editors -
> I actually have heard that they are great duckfans, maybe just
> not that big Rosa-fans. )

Don Rosa's stories are frequently published in The Netherlands.
The editors seem to desire to publish all stories.
They are the main stories of many montly Donald Duck Extra.
They are reprinted in *albums*, which rarely happens to artists
other than Carl Barks.
So, what MORE is needed to be equivalent to a "big Rosa-fan"?

The Dutch editors have also used improper versions of Barks's
stories (like missing panels, or even pages).
They sometimes change Barks's words in the translations.
They have used/re-used odd colouring for Barks's art.
They redraw Barks's covers.
Maybe this means they're not much of a Barks fan, either?

Here on DCML, the Dutch editors seem to have a bad reputation when
it comes to Don Rosa. This has been going on for years, as long as
I can remember. Do they really deserve that bad reputation, given
the efforts I've just mentioned? Or are there other reasons?

--- Daniël