A rare goof by Barks?

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Fri Nov 7 23:23:55 CET 2003

Hi all!

For the time being I am writing Duckburg's history for the period 1818-1902,
for the Danish Donaldist Society. I have thus recently reread WDC 256:
"Northeaster on Cape Quack". In the Norwegian translation of this story
Donald speaks about "nordvest-stormen i 1897" (= north-western storm) while
it in the US-original story is stated that the wind is a "northeaster".

As Calisota is located at the western coast of North-America and that the
sea thus is located to the west (stated by both Barks and Rosa) - this is
just like as with the Norwegian western coast. Here such storms are coming
from the west - *not* from the east. I have thus started to wonder if this
"north-easter" stuff is a rare goof by Barks. Or is there any other logical
explanation?

Are there really north-eastern-storms (apparently winds blowing from
northern Rocky mountains towards the Pacific ocean) at the North-American
western coast?

or

Is the wind direction described in another way in English than in Norwegian?
By Norwegian standards a "northeaster" would blow from north-east towards
south-west.

Sigvald