A rare goof by Barks?

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Sat Nov 8 01:48:39 CET 2003

Very interesting question, Sigvald!

> As Calisota is located at the western coast of North-America and that the
> sea thus is located to the west (stated by both Barks and Rosa) - this is
> just like as with the Norwegian western coast. Here such storms are coming
> from the west - *not* from the east.

I'm no expert, but I don't think you can automatically assume that the wind
must come from the same direction in Calisota as in Rogaland. And I seem to
remember from geography class that there are different types of winds.

> Are there really north-eastern-storms (apparently winds blowing from
> northern Rocky mountains towards the Pacific ocean) at the North-American
> western coast?

Seems so - at least somewhere in that area:
http://www.caplex.net/media/webbilder/3600/pic03372.jpg

> Is the wind direction described in another way in English than in
> Norwegian?

According to my until now perfect dictionary: No, it's not.

> In the Norwegian translation of this story
> Donald speaks about "nordvest-stormen i 1897" (= north-western storm) while
> it in the US-original story is stated that the wind is a "northeaster".

...you know, that could be the work of a very good translator. Assuming Barks
did NOT make a goof here, this would most likely be a case where the translator
thought "there are no northeastern storms in Norway" and changed it to a
northwestern one (as everybody knows that Duckburg is in Norway).

But, I'm no wind scientist, and I've never been to America, so I'll stop
thinking out loud now and leave it to those who have something reasonable to
say.

Olaf