DCML Digest, Vol 9, Issue 36

Soeren Schridde sschridde at web.de
Mon Nov 17 23:36:47 CET 2003

Thanks to those that mentioned Gemstone comics being available at
Amazon Europe!

Cord:

> Here in Germany to my knowledge:
(...)

Just a short correction:

In Germany, despite what the big music tries to inject into the
people's brains by wrong repetition:
Any "normal" private copy of music or film (not software) is legal. A
wise government ages ago didn't want to criminalize half or more of
the population... To compensate the artists for this, a flat fee is
paid on all devices being able to record (even answer machines) and
the income is distributed by an organisation ("GEMA"), which takes
rather odd measures in that, but that's another topic...

haven't heard of the industry saying the GEMA should charge less as
most DVDs and more and more CDs are copy-protected, though....
(applying their own argumentationonly where it fits their financial
interests...)

translating EU law, it just shot time ago became illegal to
circumvene "effective" copy protection or to use sources that are
obviously illegal - the Kazaas etc. are (only) in the discussion.
(No "great invention" like a software that can be surpassed by
disabling windows autostart like in US would suffice, and of course
not allow those creators to sue those that post that "secret" in the
net ...)

Besides that, ONLY PROFESSIONALS who want to make money are punished
for circumvening...

No difference between digital and analog copying in Germany...

Anhow, I'm happy that usual comics are just too cheap that it would
be worth xeroxing most of them...

But to get it finally on topic:
With music, I enjoy my whole collection as MP3 (self-encoded!) on my
Harddisk and using the Winamp-shuffle (playlist with ALL my mp3s).

Can you imagine using a story-viewer on the PC that puts the stories
on screen by chance / shuffled? One might find some great stories
lurking in the dephts of one's collection... :-))

Soeren
Tel.: +49 (0)40/98760818
Fax: +49 (0)40/98761995

Mobile: +49 (0)177/6150764