Barks universes / secret Barks letters to Rosa

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Tue Apr 6 14:33:50 CEST 2004

Daniel van Eijmeren wrote:

>  A friend of Barks has personally told me that Barks often complained
>  about people who were trying to hook his stories together. Period.
>
>  There's no need to try to twist that around with some long-distance
>  guessing. Barks *complained* about sticking his stories together.

I am really sorry for taking a wild guess. I'm sure your interpretations
of Barks and Rosa are more correct.

>  It can be read in Barks's correspondence with Rosa, that Rosa for
>  some reason prefers to remain silent about. (It even contained an
>  interesting, new story idea that almost got lost, this way.) And I
>  look at this correspondence as the best-kept secret of the so-called
>  Barks/Rosa universe.

I am also sure that you were really after something big - and not making
any long-distance guessing - when you wrote:

>  Have you ever seen the many, MANY interesting articles with Barks
>  letters? So, yes, there are indeed some editors who are (officially!)
>  showing Barks's "private" correspondence to the whole world,
>  *including* some letters to Rosa. Are they sick?

I have seen many, and many of them are very interesting. But there are
many that made me feel guilty for reading them. Especially the ones he
wrote as a sick man. He seemed to be quite a bitter man towards the end.
I thought they were too personal to be read by people who never knew
him. Some people might be willing to show their correspondence and
diaries to other people and that is something we should honor. We should
honor as well the fact that you still can keep them also to yourself
without being publicly accused of keeping secrets.

> > There won't be any dark secrets or revolutionary revelations to be
> > found about Barks in them.
>
>  How would you know? Did Rosa show them to you?

Well, I am again guilty of making a long-distance guess. I never learn.

>  But, no matter what, the Barks-Rosa correspondence might be VERY
>  interesting to read.

Sure. Even more I'd like to read the personal correspondence of JFK and
Marilyn Monroe. Maybe its still better when left as a mystery.

Okay, that was my 0.02 cents on this issue. Back to other subjects...