Paperinik or Pikappa?

Cristina cbriva at tin.it
Wed Feb 18 00:05:09 CET 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francesco Spreafico" <frspreaf at tin.it>
To: "DCML" <dcml at stp.ling.uu.se>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: Paperinik or Pikappa?

> Stefan Persson wrote:
>
> >> What is this "Galactic Code" thing Francesco suggests?
> >
> > See http://coa.inducks.org/coa/c1/story.php/0/I+PK3+++1-1
>
> That doesn't explain much :-)
>
> Ok, let's do this orrible thing and go take a look at this book...
>
> Ok, done (yuck!)... Donald gets picked up by these "Watchers of the
Galaxy"
> (all of them wear the outfit we're used to see Paperink wear since 1969,
> that's so weird) to be Earth's Watcher.
> At the very end of the story, after he's beaten some Evronians (evil
aliens)
> he's asked what his name is... he has no clue about what to say, takes a
> look at his shield and sees a code "PK2370"... so he answers "From now on
> call me... Pikappa". No real meaning at all!
>
> Sprea

Mind if I add a couple things to your statement, Francesco? ;)
What italian readers found more disappointing in this new Pk (also known as
the "third series", even thought it has no relation at all with the previous
two series titled respectively "Pkna - Paperinik New Adventures" and "Pk2")
was in fact its brand new protagonist, who is still Donald's alter ego,
but... but not Paperinik, not the Paperinik we used to know. PKNA #0
"Evronians" (first episode of the very first series) showed "our"
Paperinik - born at Villa Rosa, occasionally helped by Gyro Gearloose, etc -
meeting the Evronians and fighting them thanks to the precious aid of an
Artificial Intelligence named One. He shortened his name in "Pikappa" for
pratical use; he got new weaponcry, new friends and new enemies to fight, he
went through an incredible number of more-or-less exciting adventures both
on earth and on others planets...but, nevertheless, he still remained
Paperinik. Period. He might have had a new style, BUT he also had all the
original backstory that made him who he was.This new Pk introduces us
Donald - not Paperinik, just Donald - who has NEVER been a superhero, who
had NEVER lived any of the adventures we've read over the years; a Donald
we're not comfortable with, who's chosen by One as the Guardian of Earth and
takes part to a thousand years-long war among the Guardians of the Galaxy
(some kind of space Army which purpose is to defend all others planets from
any eventual attack) and these aliens, the Evronians, who too have lost all
details and background their folk had in Pkna.
Also, aside from that, others reasons why longtime readers of Pkna & Pk2
dislike Pk is because of the issues new format, with notably shorter and
less interesting stories, and the new characters' lack of personalities &
stable background. Add to all this a couple more mistakes (like Donald who
in the very first issue goes to the Ducklair Tower - where he'll meet One -
by reading a message sent him... by who? When, and how? There's just no
telling) and you've got an idea of the situation out here...

Cristina "Christmas"
http://christmas.altervista.org