Death In Disney Comics?

Jonathan H. Gray jongraywb at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 23 09:06:27 CEST 2004

Here's a curious question. The topic of death has often come up in the
fandom for the Sonic The Hedgehog (for anyone familiar with the games and
comics - Princess Sally, Emerl, Dr. Robotnik I, Maria Robotnik, Gerald
Robotnik, Shadow The Hedgehog - just to name a few examples) and upon
discussing the topic of the deaths of one of the comics and videogame
characters, I remembered being really young and reading Gemstone's
reprinting of Bill Walsh and Floyd Gottfredson's "The House Of Mystery" in
which Drusilla is implied to have died in a fire at the end of the story.

There's also "The Pirate Ghostship" in which Blackbeard (I cant remember his
name for the life of me) was engulfed in a flow of lava and the pink
princess's Raven replied "he can't hear you anymore...." or something to
that effect when he went back to check on him. In that same vein there's
also "The World Of Tomorrow" in which the near anorexic Professor
Numbspiegel is shown eating and slowly reaching for a ray gun with a beaten
and battered Pete in the room. The latter two stories ended showing that the
the adventure was, of course, a dream sequence in which Mickey wakes up
from, but all three (Particularly the "deaths" of Drusilla and Blackbeard)
are relatively strong images that have always stuck in my mind when thinking
of Bill Walsh's Mickey Mouse.

His Gottfredson Mickey stories were always as dark as you got as far as
Mickey was concerned but equally powerful (that era of Gottfredson is rarely
seen and is my personal favorite in a way ^_^).

Anyways enough rambling and onto the question. Its rather morbid for the
list but were there ever any other occurrences of death in the Disney comics
as far as the mouse and duck universe is concerned? I think Don Rosa did a
very tasteful death scene of one of the McDucks in Life And Times but its
been ages and I dont have my comics on me so I dont remember. I'm just
curious as to how often the theme came up during Walsh's run or perhaps even
in others stories by the "Duck and Mouse Masters": Barks, Scarpa, Rota,
Murry or perhaps even today among current artists. I'd be curious to hear
what some of the creatives stances are on death considering (unlike Sonic
which has an ongoing continuity) most all Duck/Mouse stories are
self-contained.

Just curious.

Jonathan H. Gray
Undergrad & Artist Of "Sonic The Hedgehog"
Sonic #138-#141 (Next month's issue)