DCML Digest Issue 32

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Mar 29 16:44:38 CEST 2004

> From: Olaf Solstrand <olaf at andebyonline.com>
> A very short summary: Based on a few Don Rosa stories, Della was eleven
> years old when giving birth to HDL.

How do they arrive at that? All they can say is that "based on the local
translation of a few of Don Rosa's stories, inaccurate to the original
script, Della can be mistakenly calculated to be 11 years old when giving
birth to HDL."
In my notes and my original scripts, I have always had her born in 1920,
giving birth to HD&L in 1940 (having grabbed easy to remember years for
private notes).
I have no idea how the various translations have read, but I see even the
American edition does not match my original version, so there must have been
an error in typing up the "official" Egmont script which the various
publishers use and which I never see. I just dug into my old files and got
out the 1992 original hand-made script and looked at that panel in
question -- in my original script it gives NO number of years for how long
$crooge traveled the world before returning to Duckburg. Any such number
seen in any foreign translation was added by the local translator, or as I
said added when the "official script" was typed. That seems likely since
the "after 27 years" appears even in the American version... even though
that would place the date at 1929 (1902+27) which is clearly incorrect since
that same page tells of the Wall Street Crash apparently taking place
several years earlier. I had intended the year of $crooge's return to be
1932. If I had put any years into my script, it would have been "after
traveling the world for 30 years". 1902+30=1932.
One mistake that I *did* make in my original script (which I see alluded to
on that web page, even though I can't read it), is where I had Donald
telling a 1947 HD&L that he was "even younger than they are" when he first
met $crooge. I had intended Donald to be telling them that he was the same
age as they are in the "current" stories, which would be a few years *older*
than they are in that flashback, which is the exact *opposite* of what I
have him saying, which is no small booboo. THAT was where I got screwed up.
But the rest of the errors are on the part of script typists or translators
or incorrect assumptions.
And you can tell that to the writer(s) of that webpage for me.