Rewriting

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Wed Jun 20 16:53:31 CEST 2007

Francesco,

> But Scarpa (like Barks or Gottfredson) can't be made "more
> entertaining" than he already is.

Maybe not, but the English scripts that we wind up with for Scarpa's
stories haven't always measured up. I don't recollect offhand if he
was facile with English, but I remember a couple of stories of his
back in the Gladstone days that came to us with English scripts that
read like painfully literal translations. That approach can crush the
life out of a story, dialogue-wise. In cases like that it almost
makes more sense to write a whole fresh script just based on what can
be perceived in the art. (That's not something we actually ever did,
but sometimes the temptation was very strong. The same holds true
today.)

> This pretty much sums it up. Your (Gemstone's) work on his stories
> is very good... almost perfect. I think there's nothing wrong if I
> want to spur you into eliminating that "almost" and making it
> perfect, is there?

Nothing at all wrong with that.

Gary