Mah-wage

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Thu Oct 2 18:16:29 CEST 2008

Dan:

> Perfectly legal in USA.  Two of my brothers married sisters of another
> family.  (And a few years apart, too.)

I did find it interesting that there are legal impediments in Greece
to in-laws marrying since, as you say, there are no such impediments
here to situations like your two brothers marrying two sisters in
another family.

So here, unless Disney officially established that Donald and Daisy
are first cousins or closer by blood, they can date and marry and
have kids and no one, not even the law (projecting its jurisdiction,
for the sake of argument, into our fiction), would bat an eye.

I'm not real sure why we have that comparatively relaxed view of the
matter. For all I know it goes back to our colonialization, when it
would have made a great deal of sense to open reproductive
opportunities out as far and wide as prevailing legal, religious and
social mores could be persuaded to allow.

Gary