Porky Pig, Scrooge's death, G. index, restored panel

Per Starb\dck starback at csd.uu.se
Wed Dec 9 15:01:31 CET 1992

Porky Pig
~~~~~~~~~
me>    One year (1976?) Carl Barks was featured [in The Overstreet
me>    Price Guide] (with a Porky Pig cover by Barks I think).
Harry> I don't think Barks ever made a Porky Pig cover (but if I'm
Harry> wrong, I certainly would like a description!).

I found a notice on that issue of the Overprice Street Guide
in an old issue of Carl Barks & Co.  It says that it reproduces some
of Barks's paintings with ducks, and that Barks painted a new cover
for it with Porky Pig in a situation from the Porky story Barks did.
There are also another color section with the covers of most
one-shots by Barks, even where the cover isn't by him, and an article
on Barks by Barbara Boatner.  The cover is reproduced rather poorly
and small, so it's hard to describe it.  It's Porky in the middle and
then lots of animals though.

me> I wish I had that one as well, but it's probably expensive...
Torsten> There isn't much demand for old price guides.  If you want to
Torsten> see the information, try interlibrary loan.  If it is too
Torsten> difficult, I would be happy to do it for you, and send you a
Torsten> photocopy of the article and plates.

Thanks for the generous offer, but I can surely find someone in Sweden
who has it if I really have to look at it some day.  I still think
it's likely to be rather expensive.  Old price guides may not be in
high demand normally, but anything Barksian is likely to have lots of
eager collectors with lots of money, *sigh*.

A Death in the Family
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(I attributed a quote wrongly)
Harry> That was Torsten, not me.

Sorry, I really knew that, my message just came out that way after I
had edited it back and forth a little.  (How's that for an excuse?)

Harry> BTW: there are at least two stories in which Scrooge is
Harry> _thought_ to be dead, and Donald inherits his money. One is an
Harry> old Western story (by Frank McSavage, I think) and the other is
Harry> a 'Dutch' story by Jan Gulbransson.

I've read one such story, but I remember it as an Italian story (in
Kalle Ankas Pocket in Sweden), so if I'm right there are at least
three such stories.  There is another Italian story where Scrooge
sends Donald and the boys to the future (2001 AD) to see what Donald
will do with all the money *if* he inherits it.  Sure enough he had
died by then, so that's a real instance of Scrooge being dead, even
though I guess what they saw was only one possible future time-line.

I'm sure 2001 would be substituted for something more distant if that
story was reprinted today...

And another thing: The German Donaldist fanzine Der Donaldist let some
artists illustrate the line "Hey, Daisy!  Whatever happened to
Scrooge?"  In Don Rosa's illustration we see older versions of Donald,
HDL, and Daisy at Scrooge's grave, and Rosa has extended Donald's line
with "Is that what you asked?  His final adventure is a tale that will
probably never be allowed to be told...  But it *was* a dilly!"  The
gravestone reads "Scrooge McDuck / 1867--1967 / Fortuna favet
fortibus".

Gladstone index
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I didn't have all the remaining DD's, so I've left some of them for
someone else.  Now I will begin with MM, and I do have all of those.

Left to be done:
DD 268-272, 274-277; DDA 1, 3-4, 6-7, 9-11, 13, 15-16, 18; DT 1-13;
MM (Per will do these); US 210-214, 216-219, 221-227, 229-234,
236-238, 240; USA 1-3, 7-8, 10-13, 18-19; WDC 512-516, 518-525,
527-530, 532-539, 542-545; plus some specials.

Restored panel
Finally a thing I forgot to ask about before: What is this about the
last panel on page 3 of WDC 80 (Getting the Bees-nees)?  (Harry listed
it as "restored" in the reprint in MD 13.)
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: Per.Starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"