Rich's character list, Gladstone (and other) Indexes

Torsten Wesley Adair torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu
Fri Nov 27 15:27:16 CET 1992

On 24 Nov 1992, Harry Fluks wrote:
> 1. Rich's character list
> It seems that Grandma Duck has not only a Dutch name (Dora), but also
> a Danish name: Andrea And ("And" = "Duck").
> (I found this name in the first Danish comic I ever bought: it was only
> the equivalent of $0.25 in a Dutch comic book shop)
> No English name yet, but the search continues...
> ----
> 2. Gladstone Index
> There has been some interest in compiling a Gladstone index, or even a
> Complete Disney Comics Index (CDCI, Per's dream)...
> I am working on a Big Dutch Index (BDI, TM) at the moment: it contains all
> Dutch issues with their stories. I completed 90% now, and I hope to be
> finished (99%) in one or two weeks.
> Maybe some information of this index could be used in making a Gladstone
> Index, or a CDCI (my dream too).
> Anyway, when my BDI is finished, I think I could help making a Gladstone
> index. But we still have to agree on the form of such an index (e.g. how
> to indicate the artists).
> Per, Hannes, other volunteers: how do we do this?
> --Harry.

If you are going to make an index of Disney stories, I suggest that a
paragraph be written for each story.  The paragraph should include:
	Control number (same for each language version?)
	Title (enter the version you have, and transcribe it into English.
 		Remember to put the title in [brackets] if you have to
		create one, and put the language identifier in (parenthesis).
  		As other people contribute foreign titles, they can be added.
	Writer
	Artist(s)
		If not known, put in parenthesis who the contributor is
		thought to be.  Add notes if necessary.
	Issue(s) the story has appeared in.
		After each issue, put in parenthesis the country (not the
		language) where the issue was published.  Add a note if the country
		publishes in more than one language (like Canada).
	Characters
		List any significant characters (use abbreviations for
		popular characters... MdS, US, DD, GyG, HDL, BB, GlG).
		Use American names, and include an appendix that crosslists
		foreign names.  If a new character appears in a foreign
		(non-U.S.) edition, list the name and make a note of his/her/its
		apperance and character.
	Synopsis
		Tell, in two or three sentences, what happens in the story.