Disney-comics digest #175. (better late than never)

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Thu Dec 9 13:59:44 CET 1993

Don Rosa:
> 	But, hey, Harry -- I was thinking about you today while working
> on this special "Donald's 60th Birthday story" I'm doing.
> (...) maybe I should ask YOU to perhaps give a call to
> your contact at Oberon (the one who LIKES my stuff) and mention the
> existance of this tale, and tell him that I would imagine Egmont would
> allow simultaneous usage of the story this summer if Oberon would so
> desire. Can you do that? (It's 16 pages.)

I called Jos Beekman (the one who likes your stuff) and told him about it.
He thanked me (and you) for the tip. He couldn't tell what he did with it
yet; I guess he's not the only one to decide. Normally, Egmont stories
appear in Holland at least 1/2 year after their original publication.

But: what is so special about the story that it could not be reprinted
as a "65 years DD" story 5 years later?

BTW: DD Extra #12 is now on sale: it contains Life Of Scrooge part 2. They
end the story with a note, something like: "But that's another story, and
you can re-read it in DD Extra 6". (6 should be 7 of course, but who cares...)

The next DD Extra issue is #13 (in Holland, there are 13 months in a year 8-).
It doesn't contain a Rosa story. Jos told me they'll publish parts 4, 5 and 6
in DD Extra 1994-2, 3 and 4, respectively. And he told me the TITLES, so I
could check that the episodes were in the right order.

After Lo$ part 6, they will have a non-Rosa break for one or two months,
and then publish some other episodes.

They translate the Lo$ episodes from both German and English scripts. Jos
said the English scripts were not the original scripts.
This matches with David's story, though I don't know why Egmont wouldn't send
Don's original scripts...

And a last message from Jos Beekman: they have a copy of Don's family tree,
but they haven't decided yet what to do with it. In Holland, Grandma Duck
is DEFINITELY the sister of Scrooge. They stated that explicitely in several
issues of DD weekly in the last few years.

Don again:
> ADDITION: I went back and was glancing at the last digest before
> deleting it... I see the comments about "Ghast Cow" (???) and "The Money
> Whirlpool" (???) were credited to Geoff Blum from an interview. I can
> only credit this to misquotes or mistranslations.
> (...) I'd be curious to read that interview, now that you
> mention it -- is it printed in English anywhere?

I don't know. Per posted the original message. Maybe you know more, Per?

--Harry.