Scrooge's letter

Ron Bauerle BAUERLE at THING1.ERIE.GE.COM
Mon Dec 20 15:11:36 CET 1993

>Date: Sun, 19 Dec 93 17:49:02 -0500
>From: David A Gerstein <David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu>
>Subject: A Christmas Greeting from Scrooge McDuck

>					1 Killmotor Hill
>					Duckburg, CL 93801

What state is CL?  Comics Land?

>Christmas cards cost real money, and the day I break down and buy a
>computer will be the day I hand my fortune over to the Beagle Boys!

Sorry, Mr. McDuck, I don't buy it - a smart businessman like yourself must
surely have realized by now that no modern mega-business can operate
without computers; true, while they _are_ expensive, even a tightwad like
you must realize that they pay for themselves very quickly, and are much
more efficient than the people they replace (and they don't ask for raises,
or goof off on coffee breaks, etc.).

But I also hope you realize that a business can't be completely automated
(I seem to remember a recent adventure of yours that showed you this...)
I trust that you won't try to bring about the factory of the future that
I've seen mentioned in certain taglines:  it will consist of a man and a
dog; the man is there to feed the dog, and the dog is there to keep the man
away from the machines.

>What is Christmas?  An excuse to wallow in commercialized GREED!
>That's nothing worth celebrating!
>...Christmas becomes just a day like any other!

Sorry, you can't fool me!  I know you've learned the true meaning of
Christmas, as seen in "Mickey's Christmas Carol" and a comics story showing
how you helped a mother and her daughter.  But I realize you've got a
reputation to maintain, so I'll go along with you (wink, wink).

Hope you have a happy holiday however you celebrate it!

RDB