Darkest Africa --- textual changes

Per Starb\dck starback at csd.uu.se
Sat Jan 9 01:39:14 CET 1993

As an appendix to what Harry told us about Darkest Africa (thanks!),
here are all the textual changes in the version published in the Carl
Barks Library (as compared to a bunch of photocopies of the original
I have).  As you can see, the changes are there to make the story less
racist and to not make the natives cannibals.  (Instead there are made
into head shrinkers!)

* 5:1 (= page 5, panel 1)
The "TAXI" on the taxi has disappeared.  (Pretty unimportant, but I
try to list all changes.)

* 6:4
Donald: KNOW YOU THE VOICE OF THE DRUMS, FUZZY WUZZY?
 "FUZZY WUZZY" -> "MUJAZ"

* 14:7
McFiendy: HMM!  THERE MUST BE A NATIVE VILLAGE AROUND HERE WHERE I CAN
HIRE SOME *CANNIBALS!*
 "CANNIBALS" -> "ASSISTANCE"

* 15:2
text box: WHILE DONALD CHASES THE BUTTERFLY, PROF. McFIENDY MAKES A
DEAL WITH SOME VERY ROUGH SAVAGES!
 "SAVAGES" -> "NATIVES"

McFiendy: NOW, YOU GENTS UNDERSTAND--- FOR TWO FALSE TEETH YOU'RE TO
CAPTURE THESE FAT JUICY LITTLE BOYS AND HOLD THEM UNTIL I TELL YOU TO
LET THEM GO!
 "FALSE TEETH" -> "CONFEDERATE DOLLARS"
 "FAT JUICY" deleted.

* 15:3
This is the deleted panel showing two cannibals licking their lips.
one of the cannibals: YA!  AND IF YOU NO TELL US BY MOONRISE, WE
*EATUM!*  YUM!  YUM!

* 15:8 (that is panel 7 in CBL)
a native: BEGGUM PARDON, BUT FAT JUICY BOYS NO GO HOME!  FAT JUICY
BOYS COME WITH US!
 -> "BEG PARDON, BUT LITTLE BOYS ARE NOT GOING HOME!  LITTLE BOYS ARE
     COMING WITH US!"

* 17:8
McFiendy: TRADED THEM TO SOME CANNIBALS FOR YOUR *BUTTERFLY!*
 "CANNIBALS" -> "LOCAL COLLECTORS"

* 18:1
McFiendy: AND YOU CAN GIVE ME YOUR BUTTERFLY IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR
NEPHEWS EATEN!
 "EATEN" -> "HEADS SHRUNK"

* 18:2
Donald: SHOW ME YOUR CANNIBALS!
 "CANNIBALS" -> "SHRINKERS"

* 18:3
McFiendy: THERE ARE YOUR NEPHEWS, AND THERE IS THE STEWPOT!
 "STEWPOT" -> "HEADMAN"
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: Per.Starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "I vill rebort you to der United Nations!"