The Duck of Africa (?)

Ola Torstensson dat91oto at ludat.lth.se
Fri May 7 11:16:19 CEST 1993

Hi there,

I don't think this has been mentioned (though if it has and I've missed it,
sorry): the latest issue (#18) of Kalle Anka & C:o (the Swedish weekly duck
book) contains a new installment in the "Life of Scrooge" series.  It's
called "The Duck of Africa" (at least in translation).  Which part is this -
number six?  I think I've missed a few parts.

Anyway, it's quite a good story - thank you, Mr Rosa!  Though I wonder
how many Swedish little kiddies will understand the "Wizard of Oz"
reference.  <grin>

[ I just showed it to a friend here who's not a duck/Disney fan as such.
  He really liked the drawing style, and the story too - he giggled
  ferociously throughout! ]

One thing intrigues me: what do Scrooge and The Antagonist Whose Identity
Shall Not Be Revealed To Those Who Have Not Read The Story say in the
original (English) dialogue in the last two panels on the next-to-last page?
Stefan Dios (the translator) has managed a pun that is utterly
un-retranslatable to English...

By the way, I met Stefan Dios a few days ago and took the opportunity to ask
him if any stories by Rosa were forthcoming, and he said they will appear
every five or six issues.  He had just finished the translation of a story
that will be published from "issue 24 or 27 or something" onwards as a
three-parter.  It's about "Yukon and gold-digging and stuff"; could this be
"The King of the Klondike"?

Ola

        Ola Torstensson       \  "I must warn the reader to discount much of
     dat91oto at ludat.lth.se     \  what I say as the ravings of a fanatic who
Undergraduate, Dept of Computer \ thinks he has just seen a great light."
Science, Lund University, Sweden \                        -- Donald E. Knuth