Moon effects

HATHAWAY@stsci.edu HATHAWAY at stsci.edu
Wed Nov 10 22:09:58 CET 1993

Mr. Rosa said:

>This also goes to answer the other
>commentor's remarks about the accuracy of how cartoonists treat the
>shape or placement of the sun or moon. When I want a certain effect for
>dramatic lighting or such, I don't let accuracy stand in my way. That's
>the old "dramatic license". There's always a full moon when I need one
>and it always happens to be in the right spot in the sky. You wouldn't
>really want it any other way, would you?

You're absolutely right.  For "dramatic license", anything goes!  Some
of the most effective tales even suspend gravity, time, biology!
Coleridge's "Rime of The Ancient Mariner" had a star between the
horns - clearly impossible, but it purposely added to the surreal nature
of the poem and was quite in keeping with the theme.
I only object when an artist shows he or she either doesn't know any
better or doesn't care and puts in an impossible moon that doesn't
advance the story or is counterproductive to the effect they are trying
to acheive.  In my business, we've got to be dead right on lunar position
so I notice such things, but in your business, the effect on the
viewer is what is important.   BTW, a gibbous moon has dramatic possibilities
that are rarely utilized.

Wm. Hathaway