Disney-comics digest #160.

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Thu Nov 18 20:03:39 CET 1993

David Gerstein writes:
> Paraphrase:  "I can't understand all the shouting about your
>'hot' artist, Carl Barks.  He only has about four or five different
>duck expressions which he reuses again and again... I prefer Vicar."
>To this Bob responded, "Yeah, we ought to get rid of that Barks guy.
>He's been producing clunky stuff for years now.  I don't think he has
>a future in comics."

Yeah, I remember reading that letter.  Most amusing.

DDA 24:
>	Gladstone filled up the issue with a story from Egmont about
>.... about a *talking mailbox*?  Aaargh!

Well, the story is *called* "The Talking Mailbox", but it's not
actually *about* a talking mailbox.  At one point, Donald ends up
inside a mailbox, and two kids think that it's talking.  Still,
it's certainly not one of the greatest tales. (from my extremely
critical and biased point of view. :-) )

>	Gladstone seems to be picking real lemons when it comes to
>Danish stories... I can't help but say so.

I whole-heartedly concur - perhaps they just can't recognize quality
when it's in front of them?  Judging from their selection of Mickey
stories, I suspect this to be the case.

(Or maybe they order the stories sight-unseen?  You'd probably
 know more about any possible reasons than I would...)