About languages (Aloha!)

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Fri Nov 19 10:35:01 CET 1993

I wrote to Mattias, something like:
> Maybe you can explain why you spell your English like (you do). Is this
> really how they speak English in Sweden? 8-)

Mattias:
> No - of course not; I'm interested in languages and dialects, and I'm basically
> just fooling around, trying to capture in letters various English or American
> idioms, as I hear them in films or on records, or read them in books OR in
> comics! For instance Don Rosa's work is FULL of these idiomatic spellings -

Of course I know it's not Swedish English. It amazed me that a Swede spells
English like this. I have read Rosa's work a lot and had some difficulties
there, too. In fact, I was reading (or trying to read) a Captain Kentucky
episode with lots of 'local' spelling: I gave up and skipped the episode...
And then I started reading one of your messages...
(BTW: Don: I LOVE those CK comics! I may miss a lot of 'Loouhvul' humour but
it's still very enjoyable.)

> I'm sorry if it bothers you,

Only very slightly. I haven't skipped one of _your_ episodes yet.. 8-)

> and I'll try to restrain myself
> at least marginally, but I can't promise to be a good boy ALL of the time,
> really - sorry!

No need to. I'll get used to it. The _contents_ of your messages always make
up for it.

And now lemme see if I can read David's (sorry, Mickey's) message...

--Harry.

Harry Fluks                      ()_()     Dutch Disney comics freak
PTT Research, Leidschendam (NL)   (_)      H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
(Just a small Mickey. That other one is much TOO BIG!)